An article on how much does hormonal profile test cost in Nigeria?, Cost of hormonal profile test in lagos, hormone profile test cost in nigeria, hormonal assay test cost in Nigeria, hormone assay test price…
Hormonal profile is more of a fertility test done for couples finding it difficult to achieve pregnancy. It can mean something else but 99.9 percent of times you hear it, it is the investigate the cause of infertility in both males and females.
This is to say, hormonal profile or assay is done for:
1. Women with menstrual disorder
2. Women with Menstrual disorder with hirsutism (hairiness)
3. Female imfertility profile
4. Male infertility profile
3. Women with suspected polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)
4. Individuals with debated gender (sex) to ascertain whether they are males or females
5. Sometimes hormonal assays are done for patients with some hormone specific cancers such as prostate cancer, breast cancer, ovarian tumours, testicular cancer, and pituitary tumours.
6. Women with galactorrhoea (breast bringing out milk without being pregnant, having a recent delivery or abortion and without nursing a baby)
7. Hormonal imbalance
8. Premature menopause
For males, it is mostly done for those with complaints of weak erection or premature ejaculation, inability to sustain an erection and low sex drive (libido). Medically this is known as erectile dysfunction. Here your doctor will request you do a blood testosterone level. Testosterone is the hormone that drives strong penile erections and high libido in both men. Testosterone also puts the woman in the mood for sex. In other words, testosterone is present in both males and females, but a million times higher in males. Mind you, hormonal profile in males is different from seminal fluid analysis (SFA), a test used to access sperm quantity, motility and quality.
What makes up hormone profile?
They are as follows:
- Follicle stimulating hormone (FSH)
- Estriol E3
- Leuteinizing Hormone (LH)
- B- HCG
- Triodothyronine (T3)
- Thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH)
- Thyroxine (T4)
- Growth hormone
- Serum testosterone is seen in some labs as part of hormonal profile
Please note that it is blood or serum follicle stimulating hormone, testosterone, progesterone, oestrogen, luteinizing hormone and estriol that makes up hormonal profile for fertility. Some labs add T3 and T4.
How is it done?
It is a blood test. A blood sample is taken from your vein (you will feel a slight needle prick) and sent to the lab for analysis. Results comes out in 24 to 48 hours.
Where can you do the test?
Hormonal assay require special expertise and not many labs do it. However, you can have it done in many established laboratories across Nigeria. If you are in Lagos, Kaduna, Abuja, Port Harcourt or Benin – city, you check in at any of the big labs in their cities for the test. Remember, hormone profile is at the request of your doctor. In Benin City, you can do hormonal profile in Raytouch diagnostics, UBTH and Edo Specialist Hospital.
Cost of hormonal profile in Nigeria
The price varies from lab to lab and from city to city. The last patients i sent for hormonal profile said they did the test for around #27,000 to #32,000. Serum prolactin level alone is #15,000 naira. Remember, the cost varies and not fixed.