Lofnac Gel(diclofenac gel): Uses, Composition, Directions for Use and Cost
Lofnac gel, also known as diclofenac gel, is simply diclofenac in gel form. It is rubbed directly on a tender or swollen areas and and it is soothing and relieving.
Linseed oil BP
Diclofenac diethylamine (equivalent of diclofenac sodium)
Lofnac gel is a brand of diclofenac, an anti-inflammatory and analgesic agent. When used on intact skin, it relieves pain and stiffness amd reduces swelling im conditions affecting joints and muscles, e.g. sprains, strains, swelling after injuries, painful joints due to rheumatoid athritis, or osteoathritis, backache, low back pain and so on.
Linoleic acid, present in the linseed is giving emolient effect, menthol, when applied to the skin, it dilates the vessels, causing sensation of coldness followed by an analgesic effect. Menthol, relieves itching and is used in rheumatic pains. Methyl salicylate is readily absorbed through skin and used for the relief of pain in lumbago, sciatica and rheumatic conditions.
Lofnac gel must not be used in the hypersensivity (e.g. asthma attacks, skin reactions, acute rhinitis) to aspirin or other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agents, severe disorders of liver function or blood forming disorders. Do not rub on broken skin.
Directions for use – How to use it…
- Gently rub a small quantity of the gel on the intact skin, or around the painful/swollen area, till the gel disappears.
- Usually a blob equivalent to about 3cm should suffice. The quantity however, should vary depending on the size of the affected area. Do not cover the applied areas with bandage, etc
- Do not apply the gel on cuts, open wounds or diseased skin area
- Apply 3-4 times a day or as directed by your doctor.
- Be careful not to apply the gel on or near the eyes, nose, mouth, genital or anal areas. If the gel does come im contact with any of these areas rinse with plenty of clean water.
- Obtain your doctor’s consent before using the gel in case you are pregnant or breast feeding.
Lofnac gel comes in 10gm, 30gm or 50gm tube.
Price of lofnac gel
In Nigeria, the tube is sold for around #800 to #1200 naira, and you can get it in most of the pharmacy shops nationwide. Please note that a pack contains 12 tubes.
This article is strictly for information. It is not by anyway a substitute to seeing a doctor. Thank you.