Postinor in Nigeria.
Postinor: an emergency contraceptive pill in Nigeria
Why take postinor?
After a single act of unprotected intercourse, the the risk of pregnancy can be as high as 30% depending on when in your menstrual cycle the intercourse occurs and amongst other factors. Post-coital contraception, sometimes referred to as “morning after” or emergency contraception, provides a second chance for ladies who experience contraceptive failure (broken condom) or do not use a method, as well as for women who experience unplanned intercourse, including coerced sex or rape.
Types of postinor in Nigeria
There are 2 types of postinor available in Nigeria. We have the postinor 1 and the postinor 2.
Postinor 1 contains 10 tablets per satchet, while postinor 2 (as the name implies) contains just 2 tablets per satchet. Both postinor 1 and 2 are emergency contraceptive pills available in Nigeria. Postinor 1 and 2 contains the chemical called levonogestrel. Postinor 2 contains 750 microgram of levonogestrel and other ingredients like gelatin, talc and potato starch.
The sooner the better. The earlier you take the pills, the higher your chances of not getting pregnant. That postinor is called “morning after” or “day after pills” does not mean you have to wait till the next next day. Take the pills immediately after unprotected sex or within 72 hours (3 days) after sex.
How to take postinor
There is wrong information out there about how to take postinor in Nigeria. I am here to correct that. For postinor 1, there are 10 pills in a satchet, take 1 pill immediately after or within 72 hours after unprotected sex.
For postinor 2, take the first pill immediately and the second pill exactly 12 hours later OR you take the 2 tablets at once ( this is to prevent you from forgetting to take the second pill 12 hours later)
Now if you vomit within 3 hours after taking postinor, take another postinor. If greater than 3 hours, don’t bother taking another one.
How effective is postinor?
Postinor 2 is more effective than postinor 1. Let me say postinor 2 is an improved version of 1.
Postinor 2 is about 85% effective depending on the time of usage. It prevents about 95% of unwanted pregnancy if taken within the first 24 hours. The percentage reduces when it is taken between 48-72 hours of unprotected sex.
Where can you get postinor in Nigeria?
Postinor 1 and postinor 2 are available in most pharmacy shops, health centres, public and private hospital across the various states in Nigeria. They are also available on Jumia, Jiji or Konga. Make sure you buy from established pharmacy stores to avoid getting fake or adulterated pills. Also, read the label to make sure it is not expired.
Cost of postinor in Nigeria
How much is postinor in Nigeria?Depending on your choice, postinor 1 or 2 is not expensive. Postinor 1 in Nigeria costs #250 naira per satchet. A tablet of postinor 1 price in Nigeria is around #30- #50 naira if you don’t want to buy the sachet. The cost of postinor 2 in Nigeria (postinor 2 price in Nigeria) is #300 naira per satchet. These prices may be less or more depending on the location and the pharmacy shop or hospital.
When not to take postinor
Postinor 1 or 2 are emergency contraceptive pills that are abused by ladies and women alike in Nigeria. It important you AVOID the following:
- Taking postinor when pregnant. Though it no effect on pregnancy, it should be avoided.
- Using postinor as an abortion pill. Postinor is NOT an abortion pill.
- Do not use postinor more than once (some say 4 times) in a menstrual cycle.
- Do not use it as a long term choice of contraception. Injectables, minipills, IUD are better long term choices. Remember postinor is an emergency contraceptive pill.
- Do not use it as a medication for weight gain. If you want to gain weight please eat.
- Postinor do not protect you from sexually transmitted infections (STIs)
- Consult a doctor before using postinor if you have any of the following conditions: liver disease, previous stroke, hypertension, asthma, migraine, heart disease etc. It has been found to worsen these diseases. Also medications for the diseases above reduces the efficacy of postinor.
Side effects of postinor
Just like every other drugs, postinor has its side effects. The side effects are worse with the drug misuse. The side effects are:
- Cessation of menstrual cycle
- Breast tenderness
- Weight gain
- Headaches, dizziness and fatigue
- Spotting or bleeding
- Heavy or scanty menstrual flow
- Nuisea and vomitting
Any important information about the use of postinor in Nigeria? Please make contributions.
Read more on postinorpill.com