Margarine vs butter which is healthier? Which is better butter or margarine why?
There’s so much mis-information out there about butter, and about margarine. In this article, we pit butter vs margarine, and finally get to the truth.
Does butter have any meaningful healthful nutrition? Is margarine actually good for you?
Butter vs. Margarine
Do you know the difference between margarine and butter?
Read on to the end as it gets very interesting!
In regards to butter,
1. Both butter and margarine have the same amount of calories.
2. Butter is slightly higher saturated fats at 8 grams compared to 5 grams in margarine.
3. Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.
4. Eating butter increase absorption of many other nutrients on other foods, due to the butyric acid found in butter that support the intestinal lining.
5. Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has few only because they are added.
6. Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavor of other foods.
7. Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less that 100 years.
And now for margarine,
1. Margarine is high in trans fatty acids.
2. Triple risk of coronary heart disease.
3. Increases total cholesterol.
4. Increases LDL (bad cholesterol).
5. Lowers HDL (good cholesterol).
6. Increases the risk on cancers by up to five-fold.
7. Lowers quality of breast milk.
8. Decreases insulin response.
And the most disturbing fact:
Margarine in only one molecule away from being plastic!
You can try this yourself, buy a tub of margarine and leave it in the garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will note a couple of things: no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell us something).
It does not rot or smell differently because it has no nutritional value, nothing will grow on it, and even those teeny, weeny microorganisms will not find a home to grow. Why? Because it is nearly plastic!
Would you melt your blue band and spread that on your toast?
Margarine vs butter which is healthier?
Margarine vs butter. BUTTER ALL THE WAY. If you are using margarine, I am begging you to stop! First off, butter tastes a heck of a lot better, and it is WAY healthier for you! Butter has a bad stigma, yes don’t have more than a TBSP or two at a time, but it is not bad for you in its portion size.
Margarine is FILLED with terrible ingredients. So why use something that isn’t healthy and doesn’t even have the yumminess that real butter has! I grew up a butter girl, thank you momma!
In moderation of course, lots of butter will clog the arteries, but to spread a bit of butter on your ezekial toast or english muffin, that is OKAY!
Butter is filled with fat yes, but it is the healthy fats that our bodies need daily just as if you were to eat some avocado, or cook with olive oil!
Don’t be scared of the word fat, healthy fats are needed in our bodies! Kerry Gold butter is AMAZING! Make this small and healthy switch this week in your house if you are a margarine user!