9 Health benefits of sorghum leaves (Poroporo Leaves). Health benefits of poroporo oka baba leaves.
Sorghum, or great millet is part of the poaceae (grass) family. The leaves of this cereal grain is of high nutritional value as it contains vitamins and minerals such as thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, pantothenic acid, folate, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, zinc, copper, selenium in significant proportions. It contains a total of 339 kcal of energy, 6.3g of fiber, 3.3g of fat, 74.3g of carbohydrate, 11.3g of protein, 65mg of omega-3 fatty acids as well as zero amount of cholesterol.
Now to the health benefits of sorghum leaves:
9 Health Benefits of Sorghum Leaves (sorghum bicolor leaves) or poroporo leaves
1. Helps Boost Digestive Health: Sorghum leaves are rich source of dietary fibers that help ensure your food is well digested. They help prevent stomach cramps, bloating, stomach aches, constipation, and diarrhea. Also, daily dietary recommended intake of fiber helps ward off bad cholesterol (LDL) in the body.
2. Helps Improve Cardiovascular Health: Inclusion of sorghum leaves in diets can help boost heart health, as well as prevent conditions like heart attack, stroke and atherosclerosis.
3. Helps in the Management of Diabetes: Sorghum leaves contain enzymes such as tanin that can help reduce starch absorption into the body, and regulate glucose levels in the body; thereby maintaining blood sugar levels. This is a good meal source for persons with diabetes.
4. Prevents Allergies in People with Celiac Disease: Wheat based products are known to contain gluten, which can trigger allergies in people with celiac disease. This is not the case for sorghum leaves as they do not contain gluten like other wheat based products. This makes it an excellent diet choice for individuals with celiac disease, as it helps prevent allergies such as nausea, painful inflammation, and gastro-intestinal damage.
5. Helps Boosts Bone Health: Sorghum contains Magnesium in adequate amounts. Magnesium helps increase the absorption of calcium into the body. Both calcium and magnesium helps in bone tissue development and can accelerate damaged or aging bones healing. Furthermore, this helps keep you active and healthy even till old age and prevent conditions like arthritis, and osteoporosis.
6. Helps in Boosting Energy: Vitamin B3 or Niacin can be found in sorghum leaves or poroporo leaves. This nutrient helps boost energy levels by converting food into usable fuel and energy. Niacin also help give energy by metabolizing or breaking down foods for energy use.
7. Decreases the risk of Anaemia: Nutrients such as copper, zinc, iron, calcium and magnesium, help perform vital functions in the body. Copper helps in iron absorption, and sufficient amounts of Iron in the body helps decrease the risk of anaemia. It also helps in the development of red blood cells (RBC), thereby increasing blood circulation. Other health benefits this nutrient can provide include stimulation and repair of body tissues and cells, and boosting energy levels.
8. Helps Boosts Brain Function: Phosphorus found in sorghum leaves ensures the brain function properly. Phosphorus helps improve memory and cognition, and prevent conditions like dementia, alzheimer’s disease etc.
9. Helps in Loss of Weight: If you desire to lose weight, ensure you consume sufficient amounts of fiber in your diets daily. Fiber helps you get full and reduces hunger sensation. Thereby, helping weight loss and maintenance.
As beneficial as Sorghum leaves can be, please ensure you consume in moderate amounts.
Written by Stella-maris Achumba
This article is the intellectual property of www.nimedhealth.com.ng