Which Swallow is good for diabetes?
Are you diabetic?
Which Nigerian swallow is best for people living with diabetes?
I decided to threw this question on Twitter and and this was the replies I got….
PS: THESE REPLIES ARE MEDICALLY CORRECT AND VERIFIED.
Depends on the type of diabetes Though
Plantain flour, oat meal and wheat is good for any type.
Red millet swallow. Red Millet swallow have low glycemic index and it is good for diabetics.
Wheat is the true best swallow for Nigerians living with diabetes.
Wheat swallow is still medically recommended for diabetes.
Generally, any of the swallows, but not more than the person’s fist size with lots of vegetables.
But unripe plantain based swallow (pounded and amala), oats, and vegetable (cabbage, garden egg, coconut) flour based swallow are much better.
Unripe plantain swallow and wheat swallow.
Oat and acha. I prefer acha ..loads of nutrients. Thank me later.
Fufu has less calories than amala, Eba and wheat. Fufu has like 100 calories only .
Yessss I was reading up on it ,
Wheat: 360 kcal
Semo: 322 kcal
Starch: 298 kcal
Amala: 141 kcal
Pounded Yam: 126 kcal
Akpu(fufu): 98 kcal
Calorie wise, you can see that pounded yam, Fufu and amala dudu are actually the ideal swallows for diabetics.
Oatmeal fufu is still the best swallow and not wheat because wheat is considered as gluten and can cause guts inflammation in some patients.
Eba made with ijebu garri is good for diabetics as ijebu garri contains far lesser starch and less carbohydrates.
Healthy tips for diabetics:
1. Eat food at fixed hours. Do not overeat.
2. Do not eat immediately after a workout.
3. If you are on insulin, make sure you have three proper meals with light snacks in between.
4. Do not eat fast; masticate and munch your food well before you swallow.
5. Drink a lot of water that will help flush the toxins off your system.
6. Make sure the gaps between your meals are short. Avoid fried foods and sweetmeats.
7. Include fresh vegetable salad in every meal.
8. Have at least 20 to 25 grams of raw onion daily.
9. Do at least 1 hour exercise daily.
10. Add wheat bran to your wheat flour (50% wheat flour + 50% wheat bran). This helps to increase fibre in your diet.
Compiled from authority sources on Twitter by www.nimedhealth.com.ng .