Drugs in Nigeria for the treatment of urinary tract infection/UTI drugs in Nigeria
5 THINGS EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW ABOUT URINARY TRACT INFECTIONS
1. A urinary tract infection (UTI) is an infection in any part of your urinary system — your kidneys, ureters, bladder and urethra. Most infections involve the lower urinary tract — the bladder and the urethra.
2. The chance of a woman getting a urinary tract infection is high. Women are at greater risk of developing a UTI than men. Some experts rank the lifetime risk of a woman getting one as high as 1 in 2, with many women having repeat infections, sometimes for years.
About 1 in 10 men will get a UTI in their lifetime.
3. Urinary tract infections do not always cause signs and symptoms, but when they do, they may include:
– A burning sensation when urinating.
– A frequent or intense urge to pee, even though little comes out when you do.
– Cloudy, dark, bloody, or strong-smelling urine.
– Urine that appears red, bright pink or cola-coloured is a sign of blood in the urine.
– Pelvic pain, in women this is felt especially in the centre of the pelvis and around the area just above the pubic bone.
– Fever or chills (a sign that the infection may have reached your kidneys).
4. When treated promptly and properly, lower urinary tract infections rarely lead to complications. But left untreated, a urinary tract infection can have serious consequences.
5. You can take these steps to reduce your risk of urinary tract infections:
– Drink plenty of liquids, especially water. Drinking water helps dilute your urine and ensures that you will urinate more frequently, allowing bacteria to be flushed from your urinary tract before an infection can begin.
– Wipe from front to back. Doing so after urinating and after a bowel movement helps prevent bacteria in the anal region from spreading to the vagina and urethra.
Empty your bladder soon after intercourse. Also, drink a full glass of water to help flush bacteria.
Avoid potentially irritating feminine products. Using deodorant sprays or other feminine products, such as douches and powders, in the genital area can irritate the urethra.
Drugs in Nigeria for the treatment of urinary tract infection/UTI drugs in Nigeria.
A fluoroquinolone. Levofloxacin, sold under the trade names Levaquin among others, is an antibiotic. It is used to treat a number of bacterial infections including acute bacterial sinusitis, pneumonia, H. pylori (in combination with other medications), urinary tract infections, chronic prostatitis, and some types of gastroenteritis.
It is available by mouth, intravenously, and in eye drop form. Levofloxacin should not be taken by pregnant women because it may cause congenital birth defects.
Another member of fluoroquinolone. Ciprofloxacin is an antibiotic used to treat a number of bacterial infections. This includes bone and joint infections, intra abdominal infections, certain type of infectious diarrhea, respiratory tract infections, skin infections, typhoid fever, and urinary tract infections, among others. Do nut take in pregnancy.
Nitrofurantoin is an antibiotic.It’s used to treat urinary tract infections (UTIs), including cystitis (bladder infection) and kidney infections (pyelonephritis)
When you take nitrofurantoin, your body quickly filters it out of your blood and into your pee. This is useful if you have a urinary tract infection because it means the medicine is concentrated at the site of infection. But it means nitrofurantoin won’t work for any other types of infection.
Nitrofurantoin is available on prescription. It comes as capsules, tablets and a liquid that you drink. Nitrofurantoin can be taken by adults including pregnant and breastfeeding women. Diabetics and persons with kidney diseases should not take nitrofuratoin.
4. Ceftriaxone(Rocephin) Injection
Brand name is rocephin. Ceftriaxone injection is used to treat certain infections caused by bacteria such as gonorrhea (a sexually transmitted disease), pelvic inflammatory disease (infection of the female reproductive organs that may cause infertility), meningitis (infection of the membranes that surround the brain and spinal cord), and infections of the lungs, ears, skin, urinary tract, blood, bones, joints, and abdomen. No tablets for ceftriaxone for now, only injection.
5. Amoxicillin (Amoxyl)
Used to treat a number of bacteria infection including urinary tract infection. It popular because amoxicillin is one of the safest antibiotic in pregnant and breastfeeding women.
These are the common drugs in Nigeria for the treatment of urinary tract infection.
A broad spectrum expensive antibiotics that is used to treat urinary tract infection. Taken 1g 8 hourly.
PS: The list above is not exhaustive and not a substitute to seeing a doctor when you observe any UTI symptoms.