Sudocrem: Uses, Ingredients, Side Effects, Dangers, and Cost
Sudocrem is an over-the-counter medication that is used to treat some indicated skin problems. It is now a very popular drug that has become a household name in Nigeria, USA, United Kingdom,, France, Ghana, India, South Africa and many other countries worldwide.
Uses of Sudocrem
The cream has found usefulness in the treatment of many skin diseases. Sudocrem has antufungal, antibacterial, and anaesthetic properties (relieves pain).
Sudocrem us used in the treatment of the following skin problems
1. Nappy rash
3. Minor burns
4. Bed sores (pressure ulcers)
5. Surface wounds
8.treat or prevent chaffing especially for cyclists or runners
9. It is used to sooth dry skin
10. Could be used to remove dark spots
11. Effective in soothing cracked heels and dry feet.
12. Ease itching and pains especially from insect bites
13. Reduces scars and stretch marks
14. Relieves itching from skin rashes.
15. It reduces spots and itching that arise from viral skin infections like chicken pox, measles and molluscum contagiosum.
16. Heals Minor cuts and burns
17. Sudocrem is very effective in treating rashes in children.
18. It is used for face masking to remove facial blemishes and reduces the pain and inflammation of acne.
19. Sudocrem helps in the removal of wrinkles according to a research conducted by Experimental Dermatology in 2019. Zinc oxide, an active ingredient in sudocrem help in the production of elatin and helps in the regeneration of elastic fibres that helps straighten out wrinkles.
Contents/Ingredients of Sudocrem
Zinc oxide 15.25
Benzyl alcohol. 0.39
Benzyl benzoate 1.01
Benzyl cinnamate 0.15
Lanolin (hypo-allogenic) 4
Directions for use
Apply a thin layer to the skin as required and rub gently into it disappears into the affected area.
Occasionally causes skin irritation. Some persons may develop allergic reaction like severe itching and burning. Please seek urgent medical attention and immediately stop using the cream if this happen. The cream may worsen a skin condition called rosacea. So persons with this condition should avoid using it as benzyl alcohol has been found to worsen itching in patients with rosacea.
Report Side effects
You can report side effects via Yellow card Scheme at www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard. This will help provide information on the safety of this medicine.
Do not use if allergic to any of the ingredients. Keep out of reach of the eyes, nose, mouth. If symptoms persist or if accidentally swallowed seek medical help. If sudocrem comes in contact with dressings, clothing and bedding, the fabric can be easily ignited by a naked flame. You should keep away from fire when using this product.
Sudocrem and Pregnancy
Sudocrem is very safe in pregnancy and can be used by pregnant women.
Is sudocrem safe in children?
Absolutely yes. The cream was originally designed to treat nappy rash in children and newborns.
Cost/Price of Sudocrem in Nigeria and where can you buy it
How much is sudocrem in Nigeria? It comes in large, medium and small cups. The large cup of sudocream cost N5,000 naira while the medium cup price is N2,500. The small cup is N1,500 Naira. Many big pharmacies around the world stocks and sells sudocream.
CAVEAT: This article is for your education and not a substitute for seeing a doctor or an avenue for self medication.