How much does ECG test cost in Nigeria?
ECG is an abbreviation of the medical test called Electrocardiography. It is a painless test used to check or assess the electrical activity of the heart. It involves the use of some kind of wires that will be placed on your chest and legs called leads. ECG is also known as EKG.
Types of ECG
1. Rest ECG: Very commom test, here the test is done while you are resting. It is carried out while you’re lying down in a comfortable position
2. Stress ECG: The leads will be placed on your chest to assess your heart function and blood flow to your heart during or after exercise. It is helpful in the diagnosis of coronary heart diseases. It is carried out while you’re using an exercise bike or treadmill.
3. 24-Hour ECG: For this type, your heart function will be evaluated for over 24 hours.
Why is ECG test important?
The electrocardiogram is used to assess cardiac rhythm and conduction. It provides information about heart chamber size and is the main test used to assess for myocardial ischemia and infarction.
Yes, ECG’s primary function is to monitor cardiac function, but in somes cases, your doctor may request for electrocardiography if you:
- have chest pains
- have electrolyte imbalance like hyperkalemia
- 40years and above and being worked ul for surgery
- have a suspected case of heart attack (myocardial infarction)
- are having symptoms like shortness of breathe, fainting spells, palpitations etc
- Are on drugs such as digoxin, and tricyclic antidepressants drugs for monitoring against toxicity.
- ECG is also used during surgery in theatre.
- ECG test is done routinely for athletes to assess their heart function and fitness.
- It aids diagnosis of arrythmias
- Check on things that are abnormal, such as thickened heart muscle (cardiomyopathy).
How Should you Prepare?
Some things you can do to get yourself ready:
- Avoid oily or greasy skin creams and lotions the day of the test because they can keep the electrodes from making contact with your skin.
- Avoid full-length trousers, because electrodes need to be placed directly on your legs.
- Wear a shirt that you can remove easily to place the leads on your chest.
Is the test painful or harmful?
No, it is a completely painless and harmless investigation. There’s no pain or risk associated with having an electrocardiogram. When the ECG stickers are removed, there may be some minor discomfort.
ECG Test Cost
It depends on the type, the radiologist and the diagnostic centre. For example, in Nigeria (Lagos, Benin-city, Abuja, and Port Harcourt), resting ECG costs about #5,000 to #6,000 naira. The price of stress and 24-hour electrocardiography is about #15,000 and #45,000 respectively.