Can Uda and uziza remove pregnancy?
Good afternoon. Yours sincerely, www.nimedhealth.com.ng will today look at whether it is true that the popular igbo herbs can be used by women to remove unwanted pregnancy. Yes. I read a history book that credited Uda (Negro Pepper) and uziza as herbs used by our foremothers to prevent pregnancy and even to abort unwanted pregnancies. African historians believed that these women drink concoctions from this herbs and even go as far as inserting them.
From findings about these leaves, it is very true that Uda and uziza can cause uterine contractions and in the process cause miscarriage or expel the product of conception from the womb… Yes this is the unexplained mechanisms of action that many women of yore and even in modern days capitalize on to remove pregnancy. I will give this to them. Uda and uziza are truly abortificients.
Now, here lies the problem, the use of Uda and uziza to remove pregnancy is tantamount to unsafe abortion and in the long run will result in septic abortion. Septic abortion is one of the major causes of death in women of reproductive age in Africa.
A doctor yesterday on twitter, lamented how a young lady died of unsafe and septic abortion in his hospital…
Just lost an 18 yrs old girl to septic abortion 😣😣…. Before she died she asked for forgiveness. What good is forgiveness now? She’s gone 😔
we need to start having serious conversations about abortion in Nigeria…
I hate seeing preventable deaths…
— Dr Bright Oris (@Doctorr_Bright) January 5, 2021
It is important I educate you on abortion:
Abortion, the expulsion of a fetus from the uterus before it has reached the stage of viability (in human beings, usually about the 20th week of gestation). An abortion may occur spontaneously, in which case it is also called a miscarriage, or it may be brought On purposefully, in which case it is often called an induction abortion.
TYPES OF ABORTIONS
1. spontaneous abortion (miscarriage) occurs when pregnancy tissue passes from the body. There are two types of spontaneous abortion: “complete,” in which all the pregnancy tissue is passed and no intervention is needed, and “incomplete,” in which only part of the pregnancy tissue is passed and usually requires intervention.
2. surgical abortion is the removal of the fetus and placenta from a woman’s uterus. The doctor typically uses a vacuum to extract the products of conception.
3. medical abortion uses prescribed medications. These medications help a woman pass the fetus and related tissue. The result is like a miscarriage.
4. .self-induced abortion is done by the mother. This term includes abortions done with legal, over-the-counter medication and
those performed using unregulated, often dangerous methods. Using uziza and Uda for abortion is self induced and dangerous. There is a high risk of septic abortion.
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF SEPTIC ABORTION
In a woman with septic abortion, signs and symptoms that are related to the infection are mainly:
1.High fever, usually above 101 °F / 38 °C
3.Severe abdominal pain and/or
cramping or strong perineal pressure
4.Beginning miscarriage symptoms (heavy bleeding and or cramping) that suddenly stops and does not resume
5.Prolonged or heavy vaginal bleeding
6.Foul-smelling vaginal discharge
7.Backache or heavy back pressure.
As the condition becomes more serious, signs of septic shock may appear, including:
1.Low blood pressure (hypotension)
2.Low body temperature (hypothermia)
3.Little or no urine output (oliguria)
4.Respiratory distress (dyspnea and labored breathing)
5. Death if there is no urgent medical intervention.
Uda and uziza may be able to remove pregnancy and cause pregnancy loss… but using this traditional method for abortion can lead to septic abortion and possibly death.
This article is the intellectual property of www.nimedhealth.com.ng with contributions from oshaprapra nurse.