Cost of IVF in government hospital in Nigeria….UCH, LUTH etc
IVF is one of several scuentechniques available to help couples with fertility problems have a baby.
During IVF, an egg is removed from the woman’s ovaries and fertilised with spermatozoa in a laboratory.
The fertilised egg, called an embryo, is then returned to the woman’s womb to grow and develop. The womb provides the most conducive environment for a developing embryo.
Invitro fertilization can be performed using your eggs and your partner’s sperm, or eggs and sperm from suitable donors.
These NICE and WHO guidelines recommend that IVF should be offered to women under the age of 43 who have been trying to get pregnant through regular unprotected sex for 2 years. Or who have had 12 cycles of artificial insemination, with at least 6 of these cycles using a method called intrauterine insemination (IUI).
IVF involves 6 main stages:
1. suppressing your natural cycle – your menstrual cycle is suppressed with medicine helping your ovaries produce extra eggs – medicine is used to encourage your ovaries to produce more than 1 egg at a time
2. monitoring your progress and maturing your eggs – an ultrasound scan is carried out to check the development of the eggs, and medicine is used to help them mature
3. collecting the eggs – a needle is inserted through your vagina and into your ovaries to remove the eggs
4. fertilising the eggs – the eggs are mixed with the sperm for a few days to allow them to be fertilised
5. transferring the embryo(s) – 1 or 2 fertilised eggs (embryos) are placed into your womb
6. Once the embryo(s) has been transferred into your womb, you’ll need to wait 2 weeks before taking a pregnancy test to see if the treatment has worked.
Now it is time to talk about cost…
IVF in many of the private fertility Clinics in Nigeria are quite expensive and not many childless couples can afford.A private fertility clinic for example can charge as high as 5 million naira for a cycle of IVF…
Many Nigerians that does not have that huge some of money to part with for IVF patronize govt owned hospitals especially teaching hospitals who offer IVF at very affordable prices…
It is important to note that truly, no two IVF cost the same, I have already talked about the factors that affect IVF treatment in this link….they include age, drugs, investigations, comorbid diseases, centres, no of cycles, success rates and so on…
I am going to individually identify some teaching hospitals that offer IVF and their prices…
Cost of IVF in UCH Ibadan
UCH ibadan most recently posted on their Facebook page that a single cycle of IVF cost about #1,000,000 naira. Other added cost may include special fertility drugs, special tests etc.
How much is IVF in LUTH
IVF in Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH) is about N1,200,000 naira. There may be other added cost like that of drugs which may range between between #300,000 – #500,000 naira
How much is IVF in National Hospital Abuja
National hospital Abuja charges about 1.5million naira for IVF excluding drugs and other special investigations.
Image Credit: Healthsoothe
This post was last modified on May 21, 2023 7:11 am