How much is pelvic scan in Nigeria, how much does pelvic ultrasound cost in Nigeria, pelvic scan cost in Nigeria, pelvic ultrasound price in Nigeria, pelvic ultrasound cost in Nigeria, transvaginal ultrasound cost in Nigeria.
What is a pelvic ultrasound scan?
A pelvic scan is a noninvasive diagnostic exam that produces images that are used to assess organs and structures within the female pelvis. A pelvic ultrasound allows quick visualization of the female pelvic organs and structures including the uterus, cervix, vagina, fallopian tubes and ovaries.
What are the other names?
Ultrasound-Pelvis, Pelvic Ultrasonography, Pelvic Sonography, Pelvic Scan, Lower Abdomen Ultrasound, Gynecologic Ultrasound, Transabdominal Ultrasound, Transvaginal Ultrasound, Endovaginal Ultrasound, transrectal scan (for men).
Is it safe?
Yes. It is 100 percent safe and you have no need to worry. You may experience slight discomfort during the procedure but no need to worry. No side effects.
Why should your doctor request for a scan?
You doctor will require you to do a scan of she/he in the following situations
1. Ectopic pregnancy
2. Uterine fibroids
3. Other pelvic tumours
4. Pelvic inflammatory disease and other cases of vaginal discharge
5. Review the anatomy of pelvic organs like the womb, Fallopian tubes, ovaries, bladder etc in order to check for abnormalities.
6. Uterine bleeding especially postmenopausal
7. Monitor the release of egg during ovulation especially in women having difficulty in conceiving.
8. Check the position of intra-uterine contraceptive device (IUCD)
9. Very important for ultrasound guided aspiration of egg during IVF
10. Monitor fetal growth and development during pregnancy.
11. Chronic pelvic pain/frozen pelvic organs.
12. To check the kidney, ureter and bladder.
In men, a pelvic ultrasound is used to evaluate the:
- seminal vesicles
Transrectal ultrasound, a special study usually done to provide detailed evaluation of the prostate gland, involves inserting a specialized ultrasound transducer into a man’s rectum.
In men and women, a pelvic ultrasound exam can help identify:
- kidney stones
- bladder tumors
- other disorders of the urinary bladder
In children, pelvic ultrasound can help evaluate:
- pelvic masses
- pelvic pain
- ambiguous genitalia and anomalies of pelvic organs
- early or delayed puberty in girls
How will my organs be accessed for examination?
The test can be done by placing a probe on the lower abdomen (transabdominal) or inside the vagina (transvaginal). The route will depends on what your doctor is trying to view on your pelvic cavity and consideration for accuracy.
Preparing for pelvic scan?
It is simple. It is mandatory to you drink plenty of water and not urinate until after the test. A full bladder improves the visibility of your organs and the the accuracy of the test. You will be told to empty your bladder right before the test if the procedure is transvaginal.
In addition, it is important you put on simple wears such as gowns to make adjusting your dress during the procedure easy.
Where can you do pelvic ultrasound in Nigeria?
I will advise you to do the test in established radiodiagnostic centres near you or the one you are referred to by your doctor. There is at least one centre in every state across Nigeria but more in Lagos, Benin city, Ibadan, Port Harcourt, Abuja, Kano, Kaduna and Warri.
How much is Pelvic scan in Nigeria?
It is largely affordable. A pelvic scan in Nigeria cost between #4,000 – #5,000 Naira. It may be up to #7,000 – #10,000 Naira in city-centres like Abuja, Ibadan and Lagos. Pelvic scans in very big private labs may go as high as #20,000.
Some scans are special so the prices may vary.