Is there Cosmetic Surgery in Nigeria?
The uninformed public sees the Plastic Surgeon as the beauty surgeon or the surgeon that beautifies. To make this impression worse, some think that Plastic Surgery involves the implantation of plastics into the body especially the face in order to beautify the client or customer.
When people request cosmetic surgery for themselves, it is important that the surgeon questions the client carefully to find out the reasons for the request. If the reason is to restore confidence in the spouse, maintain his/or attractive looks and fight back on matrimonial infidelity, then the surgery may not solve the problem. The customer needs to be appropriately counselled. If this is not properly done and surgery undertaken just for financial benefits, the surgeon may have to bear the full brunt of his or her wrath and litigation if the expected solution does not happen. Other similar circumstances include the hope to get a husband, wife, a new job, or a younger look, and even a political charisma.
It is always advisable an best to take and keep pre-surgery and and post-surgery photographs for medico-legal reasons and to justify ones results by reminding him/her what has been achieved.
common cosmetic surgeries done in Nigeria.
Though with very few Plastic Surgeons, cosmetic surgery is becoming increasingly popular in Nigeria.
Large breasts may be made smaller in a reduction mammoplasty while small breasts could be made bigger in augmentation mammoplasty, saggy breast can be elevated. In abdominoplasty also called liposuction or tummy tucking, a fat flabby abdomen can be made flat or less fatty.
Sagging eye lids can be corrected with lid reductions (Blepharoplasty). In this operation, the overhanging upper lids and pockets of fat “water bag” in the lower lids are trimmed to shape and the fat “picked off” with good control of bleeding.
The aging face benefits from a face lift which smoothens out the wrinkles and adds blepharoplasty as part of the procedure.
Rhinoplasties are done to to shape the customers’ noses to shapes and and sizes desired by them. It is important however, to know that the flat and broad African nose lacks the building blocks to produce a high- ridged Caucasian type nose. Foreign materials (implants) used for such purposes are prone to shifting and so deformities that may be unpleasant and embarrassing may occur.
Extra pads of fats around the hips or knees may be removed with liposuction leaving minor scars of stabs incisions used to introduce the liposuction tube.
Recently popularised by the Nollywood actress, Tonto Dike, butt enlargement/augmentation surgeries is now becoming accepted in Nigeria.
Nigerians, especially females that feel the flesh/muscles at the back of their legs are too big or unattractive now visit the plastic surgeon for calf reduction surgeries.
Other common cosmetic surgery procedures are permanent tattoo removal, excision biopsy of lumps in any part of the body, gynaecomastia (big breasts in males), and vaginal tightening surgery.
the cost of cosmetic surgery in Nigeria.
Plastic surgery procedures are not cheap. There are about 200 Plastic Surgeons in Nigeria with major Plastic Surgeons located in Teaching Hospitals. In Nigeria, there is an increasing high demand for cosmetic surgery procedures.
There is no fixed price. The cost of Cosmetic Surgery depends on so many factors. They include:
- the Plastic Surgeon doing the procedure
- the type of procedure
- site of the body that requires the procedure
- the location of the hospital. Lagos, Abuja, or Port Harcourt or Benin-city?
- does the procedure require admission thereafter.
- are you a celebrity?
The following are common cosmetic surgery procedures in Nigeria and their estimated cost.
- liposuction (tommy tucking)—— N500,000 to N1,000,000 naira
- Breast reduction—- N400,000 to N600,000 naira
- breast lift— N200,000 to N400,000 naira
- breast enlargement(implant) — N800,000 to N1,200,000 naira
- vaginal tightening—— N200,000 to N400,000 naira
- male breast reduction—- N150,000 to N200,000 naira
- tattoo removal —– N20,000 to N50,000 naira per tattoo
- rhinoplasty (pointed nose)— N5,000,000 naira.
- calf reduction surgery — N200,000 to N300,000 naira
- blepharoplasty—- N300,000 to N350,000 naira
- hip reduction surgery— N400,000 to N500,000 naira
- facelift- N500,000 to N1,000,000 naira.
- Ear reconstructive surgery (otoplasty)—– N250,000 naira per ear
- Brazilian buttock lift (BBL) or fat transfer—- N2,000,000 to N8,000,000 naira
- Lip reduction surgery—— N500,000 to N800,000 naira
Read more on MedicalNewsToday