Cost of hernia surgery in Ghana – Hernias and Hernia Operation.
A hernia occurs when tissue, such as part of the intestine, protrudes through a weak spot in the #abdominal muscles.
Types of hernia
1. Inguinal Hernia
2. Umbilical hernia
3. Incisional hernia
4. Epigastric hernia
5. Hiatal hernia
#Symptoms of hernia
* A bulge in the area on either side of your pubic bone, which becomes more obvious when you’re upright, especially if you cough or strain
* A burning or aching sensation at the bulge
* Pain or discomfort in your groin, especially when bending over, coughing or lifting
* A heavy or dragging sensation in your groin
* Weakness or pressure in your groin
* Occasionally, pain and swelling around the testicles when the protruding intestine descends into the scrotum. In newborns and children result from a weakness in the abdominal wall that’s present at birth.
*Crying, coughing or straining during a bowel movement or stands for a long time
#Complications of hernia
If you aren’t able to push the hernia in, the contents of the hernia may be trapped (incarcerated) in the abdominal wall. Signs of a strangulated hernia include:
*Nausea, vomiting or both
*Sudden pain that quickly intensifies
*A hernia bulge that turns red, purple or dark
*Inability to move your bowels or pass gas
* Increased pressure within the abdomen * A pre-existing weak spot in the abdominal wall
* Straining during bowel movements or urination
* Strenuous activity
* Chronic coughing or sneezing In many people, the abdominal wall weakness that leads to an inguinal hernia occurs at birth when the abdominal lining (peritoneum) doesn’t close properly.
If the contents of the hernia become trapped in the weak point in the abdominal wall, it can obstruct the bowel, leading to severe pain, nausea, vomiting, and the inability to have a bowel movement or pass gas. Enlarging or painful hernias usually require surgery to relieve discomfort and prevent serious complications. There are two general types of hernia operations — open hernia #repair and #laparoscopic repair. Hernia repair operation could be herniorraphy, herniectomy, and hernioplasty.
Cost of hernia surgery in Ghana
In Ghana, most general surgeons still do open hernia operation mainly because laparoscopic hernia repair surgeries are expensive and also because Ghanaians present with complicated hernias that will require open surgery.
The cost of open hernia surgery in Ghana is around GHC 800 – GHC 2,000 Cedis while the cost of laparoscopic hernia operation in Ghana is around GHC 5,000 Cedis.
This article is the intellectual property of www.nimedhealth.com.ng