Does bitter leaf cure high blood pressure? Does bitter leaf lower high blood pressure?
Before I answer this question above, let me quickly refresh our memories about the health benefits of bitter leaf…
Health Benefits of Bitter Leaf.
The benefits of bitter leaf include but not limited to the eight presented below:
1. It reduces the risk factors of breast Cancer according to a finding in the journal of Experimental Biology and Medicine.
2. Lowers bad cholesterol (LDL) and raises good cholesterol (HDL).
3. Bitter leaf contains fatty acid (linolenic and linoleic acid). According to American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, this acid lowers the risk of cardiovascular diseases and Cerebrovascular accident (stroke).
4. Bitter leaf has properties that fight diseases in the body because it is high in antioxidants. It mops up reactive oxygen species which is responsible for most diseases, cancers and even aging process (wrinkling)
5. It detoxifies the body of poisons “from metabolism and (or) those from external sources like air pollution and otherwise”.
6. It is good for weight loss because it speeds up metabolism and contains a great deal of fibres.
7. A study published in the Journal of Pharmacy & Bioresources, researchers at the University of Jos shows that it reduces blood sugar which makes it good for diabetic patients.
8. Bitter leaf contains Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Vitamin B1 and Vitamin B2.
9. Lowers blood sugar… Good for diabetics
10. Prevents diseases that causes memory loss like Parkinson’s disease, dementia, Alzheimer’s disease etc
11. Bitter leaf to help cure eczema and other skin infections – ringworm, rashes, and lapalapa.
12. Good for the skin
13. Bitter leaf is very good for the eyes. It contains vitamins A.
14. Detoxification of the the gastrointestinal tract and aids digestion.
15. Believed to help prevent prostate cancer.
16. A cup of bitter leaf juice helps to treat insomnia and promotes good sleep.
17. Bitter leaf promotes sexual and reproductive health of both the male and the female.
Add bitter leaf to your diet, cook the leaf or drink the juice after squeezing; you are doing your body a great favour.
Now to the purpose of this article:
Does bitter leaf cure high blood pressure?
Many people especially Africans believe that bitter leaf is very good in helping to lower elevated blood pressure…. But how true is this?… I have made some researches on the relationship between bitter leaf and treating hypertension and all have I gotten is that bitter lowers blood pressure because it contains potassium which helps relaxes the blood vessels……That is, bitter leaf actually lowers blood pressure because it is rich in a chemical substance called potassium. Potassium calms the heart by preventing palpitations and at the same time relaxes the blood vessels.. With this mechanism, it is “factual” that bitter leaf treats and prevents hypertension. No science-based journal backs this claim up though.
PS:persons with elevated blood should not bank on bitter leaf to achieve cure or control… Bitter leaf CANNOT CURE high blood pressure… See a doctor..to give you some antihypertensive medications.