How much is the cost of Beecham Ampiclox in Nigeria? Uses of Beecham ampiclox, How to know original Beecham Ampiclox?
Beecham Ampiclox is a type of branded ampicillin + cloxacillin with penicillin as its parent compound. “Ampiclox by Beecham or Ampiclox Beecham” as it is locally called in Nigeria is produced by the giant pharmaceutical company – GSK.
Ampiclox is a broad spectrum antibiotics that helps to fight infections in the body, especially those caused by Gram-positive organisms like Staph and Strept, as well as other organisms, where it destroys the cell wall (shield) of those organisms and they die. It’s therefore used in treating chest infections, throat infections, ear infections, etc., which are predominantly caused by such organisms.
What is Beecham Ampiclox used for? Clinical Uses of Ampiclox
- Bacterial Endocarditis Prophylaxis
- Gonococcal Infection — Uncomplicated
- Intraabdominal Infection
- Skin or Soft Tissue Infection
- Upper Respiratory Tract Infection (cough)
- Septicemia (blood infection)
- Bacterial Infection
- Urinary Tract Infection
- Surgical Prophylaxis
- Tuberculosis – Urinary Tract
- Infection – Bacterial/Fungal/Protozoal/Viral
- Inhalation Bacillus anthracis
- Cutaneous Bacillus anthracis
- Typhoid Fever
- Prevention of Perinatal Group B Streptococcal Disease
- Meningitis — Streptococcus Group B
DOSAGE FORMS OF BEECHAM AMPICLOX
Beecham ampiclox has both capsules and injections and hence can be administered orally or intravenously. Ampiclox capsules comes in 250mg and 500mg. Injection ampiclox comes in 500mg and even 75mg for children. There is also syrup ampiclox called ampiclox S.
Side effects of Beecham Ampiclox
➡️Nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea
➡️Skin allergies with itching, rashes red bumps and blister
➡️Swollen, black, or “hairy” tongue; or
➡️Vaginal itching or discharge.
Can Beecham ampiclox be used in pregnancy?
Yes. Ampiclox is not teratogenic, that is, it does not cause congenital birth defects or negatively harm the unborn foetus. Beecham ampiclox is safe in pregnancy but must be taken according to your doctor’s prescription.
Can Beecham ampiclox be taken during breastfeeding?
Not really. This is because, ampiclox is secreted in breast milk and can cause side effects like diarrhea and fungal infection of mouth in a breastfed baby. Therefore it is advised not to breastfeed when you are taking this medicine.
HOW MUCH IS BEECHAM AMPICLOX IN NIGERIA?
Eventhough it is a branded drug, Beecham ampiclox is quite affordable. The cost of a satchet of beecham ampiclox containing 10 capsules is around #1,500 – #2,500 Naira in Nigeria as the contraceptive demand has shot the price up. A pack of ampiclox cost about #2,500 Naira in Nigeria. The price of Beecham ampiclox is Nigeria is quite stable. It ranges between #2,000 – #4 ,000 depending on your location – Lagos, Abuja, Port Harcourt, Benin, Kano, Kaduna, Enugu, Ibadan.
How to know original Beecham Ampiclox?
It is easy to differentiate an original Bechaam ampiclox from a fake Beecham ampiclox. Original Beecham ampiclox is silver sealed and labeled with a code that will be revealed if the silver seal is scratched off (this is known as SMS verification code for ampiclox).. A fake Beecham ampiclox does not have this. Also ensure you buy Beecham ampiclox from reputable and trusted pharmacy stores..to avoid buying fake, expired or adulterated Beecham ampiclox.
HOW Beecham Ampiclox got its name
Beecham is the name of a nineteenth century British company which produced all sorts of drugs. The founder’s name was Thomas Beecham. It later merged with SmithKline Beckman in 1989 to become SmithKline Beecham, but they retained the trademark name “Beecham” for their flagship products like Ampiclox. In year 2000, SmithKline Beecham merged with Glaxo Wellcome to become GlaxoSmithKline, popularly known as GSK. The London-based firm is one of the most powerful pharmaceutical companies in the world.
1. It has no role whatsoever in prevention of pregnancy (not a contraceptive). This is because pregnancy is controlled by hormones and Ampiclox does not contain any hormones neither does it interfere with the hormones of pregnancy.
2. Beecham ampiclox is not an abortion pill.
3. Beecham Ampiclox DO NOT FLUSH OUT SPERM. DONT WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY TRYING TO USE IY AS A CONTRACEPTIVE.
4. Ampiclox can cause contraceptive failure for women on contraceptive pills or injections. This is because, ampiclox interacts with them and diminishes their efficacy. Talk to your doctor about this.
Image Credit: Bamaj Pharmacy