Nigerians need to know the wonderful health benefits of KEFIR – the amazing probiotic.
Though I have tried to find out the its Nigerian/Yoruba name without much success, kefir or Kephir is a fermented milk drink similar to yoghurt (but thinner) made from kefir grains. It is the latest probiotic in town. Kefir yoghurt is originally from Eastern Europe and to be precise Russia where it was produced by innoculating fermented goat milk, sheep milk or cow milk with kefir grains.
It is been scientifically proven to be more nutritious than egg, fura de nunu, greek yoghurt, Kunun, and or any food product. Kefir is a wonderful probiotic drink because its protects gut health including the health of the vagina by helping to sustain the growth of “good” bacteria. Because Nigerians abuse a lot of antibiotics which destroy the micoflora of their digestive tract, medical experts have advised we take more of probiotics to help revive our gut health and KEFIR is the best probiotic available right now and all Nigerians should add this wonderful drink to their menu.
KEFIR = Probiotic x Immune Boosting x Gut -Enhancing x Delicious
Kefir Nutritional Information and health benefits of Kefir
Water Kefir is renowned as a rich probiotic, enzyme and anti-oxidant source. It is also well known for its nutritional and medicinal properties.
1. Boosts gut health (contains more than 50 good bacteria strains)
2. Improves immunity
3. Contains anti-oxidants (anti-aging and anti-tumor)
4. Improves sleep – kefir relaxes your nerves and calms you down for a good sleep
5. Supports metabolism and weight loss – add it to your weight loss diet plan.
6. Improves digestion – since the guy is revitalized
7. Good source of vitamins, minerals and enzymes
8. Combats unhealthy food cravings
9. Suitable for all kinds of diet
10. Excellent alternative to soda drinks
11. Dairy-free, perfect for vegans and also gluten free
12. Kefir has medically important compounds ie phytochemicals that help boost ovulation , increases libido and erections
13. Kefir is Anti-diabetic, anti-cancer
14. Water kefir is Anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial and anti-obesity -low fat content.
15. Kefir Aids in prevention of cardiovascular diseases.
16. Kefir is also very good for children. Can be used as a probiotic fie acute watery diarrhea.
17. Kefir is used to treat diarrhoea or constipation.
Best time to consume kefir drink would be after meals (half glass) to aid in digestion and before bedtime (for a sounder and refreshing sleep).
You may keep the bottle in the fridge and best consumed in a month (will not last that long, believe me 😁).
Not that it may change colour , as fermented beverage do not really go bad in a bad way but ongoing fermentation of the live bacteria will cause the water kefir to grow stronger in oomph (flavor and taste) which some people actually prefer.
Try a bottle of kefir today (perhaps better get 2 bottles)
Kefir Price in Nigeria
Kefir is still and upcoming probiotic in Nigeria and many stores have not started stocking it. Also many Nigerians do not know how to prepare kefir at home yet. If you want to buy this wonderful nutritious drink in Nigeria, a bottle of kefir (750ml) is sold for around #5,000 – #8,000 naira. You can get kefir or kefir grains from big stores in Abuja, Lagos, Port Harcourt, Enugu, Benin , Kaduna, Ibadan, and Kano.