How much does brain surgery cost in Nigeria, Cost of brain tumor surgery in Nigeria, centres or hospitals that performed brain surgery in Nigeria, cost/price of spinal cord surgery in Nigeria.
Brain surgery is a very complex surgery performed by a special kind of specialist surgeons called neurosurgeons. Nigeria is fast becoming the epicenter for brain surgeries in West Africa thanks to the slow but steady number of neurosurgeons been trained yearly.
Why brain surgery and Spinal cord surgery are done
According to Healthline, brain surgery is done to correct physical abnormalities in the brain. These can be due to birth defect, disease, injury, or other problems.
You may need brain surgery if you have any of the following conditions in or around the brain:
➡️abnormal blood vessels
➡️bleeding in the brain from trauma or stroke
➡️Correcting intracranial pressure in hydrocephalus by inserting shunts.
➡️damage to the protective tissue called the “dura”
➡️abscesses in the brain that requires drainage
➡️nerve damage or nerve irritation
➡️pressure after head injury
➡️a stroke especially hemorrhagic stroke
➡️fluid building up in the brain
➡️For spinal cord surgery, the indications are low back pain, repair of disc prolapse, fracture or injury to the vertebral column.
Not all of these conditions require brain surgery, but many may be helped by it, especially if they pose a risk for more serious health problems. For example, a brain aneurysm doesn’t require open brain surgery, but you may need open surgery if the vessel ruptures.
Where can you perform brain surgery in Nigeria – Which teaching hospitals perform brain surgeries in Nigeria
A will give you a list of hospitals that perform brain surgeries in Nigeria in including government-owned and private hospitals. They are:
1. University College Hospital (UCH)
2. University of Benin Teaching Hospital (UBTH)
3. Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital, Kano
4. Lagos University teaching hospital (LUTH)
5. National Hospital Abuja
6. Muhammadu Buhari Hospital, Kano
7. Lagos State University Teaching Hospital
8. Obafemi Awolowo University Teaching Hospital, Ife Osun State
9. Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospital, Kaduna
10. University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital (UNTH)
11. University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital
12. University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital
13. Lily Hospital
14. Memphys Hospital for Neurosurgery, Enugu
15. Cedacrest Hospital (Yusuf Buhari, President Buhari only son had brain surgery at Cedacrest in 2018 when he was unfortunately involved in a motor bike accident and sustained traumatic brain injury).
16. First Consultants
17. St. Nicholas hospitals
18. Eko hospitals
19. Benin Medical Care
20. Uthman Danfodio Teaching Hospital, Sokoto
21. Reddington Hospital
22. Lagoon Hospital, they recently performed a successful brain surgery for a ruptured aneurysm. 👇
Types of brain surgery performed in Nigeria
➡️Craniotomy. A craniotomy involves making an incision in the scalp and creating a hole known as a bone flap in the skull. …
➡️Biopsy – a sample of brain tissue or brain tumor is taken for further tests.
➡️Minimally invasive endonasal endoscopic surgery
➡️Minimally invasive neuroendoscopy
➡️Deep brain stimulation.
➡️Awake brain surgery
What are some types of spinal surgery performed in Nigeria?
➡️Vertebroplasty and kyphoplasty
➡️Spinal laminectomy/spinal decompression
➡️Nucleoplasty, also called plasma disk decompression
➡️Artificial disk replacement.
Brain surgeries are expensive globally. In Nigeria, the cost of brain surgery is around #2,000,000 – #15,000,00 Naira. This may be less in government owned teaching hospitals. The cost of brain surgery in cities like Lagos, Abuja, Enugu and Port Harcourt may be as high as 20 million Naira.
For spinal cord surgery, most Nigerian hospitals or neurosurgeons charge about #800,000 – #5,000,000 Naira. In Lagos, Abuja, Enugu and Port Harcourt, the cost of spinal cord surgery is around #4,000,000 Naira.
This post was last modified on August 31, 2020 11:34 am