111 Funny and Weird Phobias and their meanings
The Harvard medical school defined phobia as “a persistent, excessive, unrealistic fear of an object, person, animal, activity or situation. It is a type of anxiety disorder. A person with a phobia either tries to avoid the thing that triggers the fear, or endures it with great anxiety and distress”.
- Phobias are more serious than simple fear sensations and are not limited to fears of specific triggers.
- Despite individuals being aware that their phobia is irrational, they cannot control the fear reaction.
- Symptoms may include sweating, palpitations, chest pains, and pins and needles.
- Treatment can include medication, psychotherapy and behavioral therapy.
- 19 million people in the United States have a phobia.
List of 111 funny and weird phobias
1. Nomophobia is the fear of being without mobile phone or data or credit or not charged.
2. Katsaridaphobia is the fear of cockroaches.
3. Nosocomephobia is the fear of hospitals.
4. Gephydrophobia is the fear of crossing bridges.
5. Peniaphobia is the fear of poverty
6. PENTHERAPHOBIA is the fear of your mother-in-law.
7. VITRICOPHOBIA is the fear of your stepfather.
8. NOVERCAPHOBIA is the fear of your stepmother.
9. SYNGENESOPHOBIA is the fear of your relatives.
10. SOCERAPHOBIA is the fear of your father-in-law.
11. PELADOPHOBIA is the fear of bald people.
12. Dishabiliophobia is the fear of undressing in front of someone.
13. Ablutophobia is the persistent fear of cleaning, washing or bathing.
14. Allodoxaphobia is the fear of opinions.
15. Menophobia is the fear of menstruation.
16. Hominophobia is the fear of men.
17. Gynophobia is the fear of women.
18. Anuptaphobia is the fear of staying single.
19. Gamophobia is the fear of marriage.
20. Hematophobia is fear for blood
21. Cynophobia is fear for dogs
22. Arachnophobia is fear for spiders
23. Agoraphobia is fear for open spaces or crowded area.
24. Ophydiophobia is fear for snakes.
25. Pteromerhanophobia is chronic fear of height/flying.
26. Pharmacobia is the fear of medicine/drug
27. Acrophobia is fear of heights
28. Autophobia, fear of being alone
29. alektorophobia, fear of chickens
30. onomatophobia, fear of names
31. pogonophobia is the fear of beards. It is one of the commonest funny and weird phobias
32. nephophobia, fear of clouds
33. cryophobia, fear of ice or cold
34. Hydrophobia is fear of water
35. Venustraphobia is fear of women
36. Verminophobia is fear of germs
37. Wiccaphobia is fear of witches, wizards and witchcraft
38. Xenophobia is the fear of strangers or foreigners
39. Zoophobia is fear of animals
40. Technophobia is fear of technology
41. Tachophobia is fear of speed
42. Tonitrophobia is fear of thunder
43. Trypanophobia is fear of needles or injections
44. Bacteriophobia fear of bacteria
45. Barophobia is the fear of gravity
46. Belonephobia Fear of pins and needles
47. Phobophobia is fear of phobias
48. Bibiophobia is fear of books
49. Batrachophobia us the fear of amphibians e g. frogs, toads
50. Botanophobia is the fear of plants
51. Bathmophobia is the fear of stairs or steep slopes.
52. Cacophobia is the fear of ugliness
53. Catagelophobia is the fear of being ridiculed
54. Cyberphobia is the fear of computers
55. Catoptrophobia is the fear of mirrors
56. Chronomentrophobia is the fear of clocks
57. Chromophobia is the fear of colours
58. Claustrophobia is the fear of confined or restricted places
59. Coulrophobia is the fear of clowns or comedians
60. Chionophobia is the fear of snow
61. Dentophobia is the fear of dentists or a dental procedure
62. Aphenphosmphobia is the fear of being touched.
63. Achluophobia is the fear of darkness
64. Aerophobia is the fear of flying
65. Algophobia is the fear of pain
66. Alektorophobia is the fear of chickens
67. Aichmophobia is the fear of needles or pointed objects
68. Amaxophobia is the fear Fear of riding in a car
69. Androphobia is the fear of men
70. Anginophobia is the fear of angina/heart attack or choking
71. Anthophobia is the fear of flowers
72. Anthropophobia is the fear of people or society
73. Arithmophobia is the fear of numbers
74. Astraphobia is the fear of thunder and lightning
75. Ataxophobia fear of disorder or untidiness or entropy
76. Atelophobia is the fear of imperfection
77. Atychiphobia is the fear of failure
78. Samhainophobia is the fear of Halloween
79. Scolionophobia is the Fear of school
80. Selenophobia is the fear of the moon
81. Sociophobia is the fear of social evaluation or assessment
82. Somniphobia is the fear of sleep
83. Pyrophobia is the fear of fire
84. Podophobia is the fear of feet
85. Porphyrophobia is the fear of purple color
86. Philophobia is the fear of love
87. Pogonophobia is the chronic fear of beards
88. Pathophobia is the the fear of diseases
89. Papyrophobia is the fear of paper or anything made of paper
90. Pedophobia is the fear of children
91. Fear of knees is genuphobia
92. The fear of public speaking is glossophobia
93. The fear of illness is hypochondria
94. Herpetophobia is the fear of reptiles
95. The fear of the sun is heliophobia
96. Lockiophobia is the fear of child birth or delivery
97. Iatrophobia is the fear of medical doctors
98. Insectophobia is the fear of insects
100. Koinoniphobia is the fear of rooms full of people
101. Necrphobia – fear of dead things
102. Fear of the night is Noctiphobia
103. Nyctophobia is fear of the dark, fear of being watched through the windows at night
104. Anglophobia is an unusual fear or hatred of England, its people, language or culture.
105. Ithyphallophobia is the abnormal and persistent fear of seeing, thinking about or having an erect penis; also called medorthophobia or phallophobia.
106. Macrophobia: It is an abnormal and persistent fear of long waits. The sufferer may experience anxiety and discomfort when confronted with any situation that involves waiting for a long time.
107. Microphobia: It’s an abnormal and persistent fear of small or minute objects; also termed as mycophobia.
108. Octophobia: It’s an uncommon and unusual fear of the figure 8.
109. Ombrophobia: It is an abnormal and overwhelming fear of rain; also called pluviophobia.
110. Omphalophobia: It is an irrational and rare fear of belly buttons. People having this phobia experience anxiety and discomfort when anyone’s navel area is subjected to touch, especially their own.
111. Tryphophobia is the fear of holes
112. Some people are actually afraid of being too happy because they think something tragic is going to happen soon. This is known as Cherophobia
How do you treat Phobias?
Though these are funny and weird phobias, if it gets to a point that it causes you a great deal of distress then you need to see a doctor preferrably a mental health physician. She may subject you to some form of talk therapy, behavioural therapy, and psychotherapy. Sometimes you may be placed on some medications like anxiolytics such as Benzodiazepines and Beta blockers.
Further Reading on funny and wierd phobias
Image credit: The Sun