15 Natural Foods That Will Help You Boost Your Immune System/Fruits That Boost Immune System.
Your immune system defends your body against diseases. The stronger your immune system, the less likely are you to be sick and the more your body can fight off diseases like coronavirus.
With the worldwide COVID-19, it only makes sense to do what you need to do to keep your immune system strong and active and as such your body’s defence mechanism in top form.
The good news is, nature provides us with a myriad of immune-boosting foods that are delicious too. These foods can help you boost your immune system naturally and effectively.
Foods rich in vitamin C, vitamin D, selenium and zinc are said to boost the immune system because these vital nutrients are thought to increase the production of white blood cells. These are therefore key to fighting infections.
Note that the human body DOES NOT synthesize vitamin C and other vital minerals. This means that when you consume vitamin C-rich foods, it is not stored for future use. Therefore, you must continuously consume these foods to make sure that there is a regular supply to the body.
A vitamin C deficiency will weaken your immune system and put you at a higher risk for diseases like the CORONA VIRUS.
So do not wait for CORONA virus to hit your neighborhood before you start looking for medications. Let these immune boosting foods/fruits be your preventive medicine.
1. Citrus fruits -> oranges, lemons, limes, grapefruit, clementine and mandarins are loaded with vitamin C. One of the best natural immune boosters. If you can get them, they have a better shelf life and they have a lot of Vitamin C, thiamine and foliate. Other than that they are rich in antioxidants which can protect you from bacterias and viruses.
2. Red velvet tamarind aka. Licky licky. While lemons contain citric acid, these contain tartar acid which is a potent antioxidant. It thus helps the body to protect it from free radicals.
3. Pawpaw -> 95.6mg vitamin C which also protects the body against diseases.
4. Generally a very healthy food with a ton of nutrients including vitamin C.
5. Ginger -> has anti-bacterisl properties which a significant part of immune boosting foods.
6. Garlic -> in addition to its cardiovascular benefits, garlic has anti-bacterial, antiviral and anti-fungal properties.
7. Turmeric -> the component curcumin in turmeric activates immune cells to do their job of defence.
8. Spinach, broccoli, nuts and peppers are high in vitamin E which is a powerful antioxidant that helps the body fight off infections.
9. Camote (sweet potato), kalabasa (squash), papaya, carrots as well as green, leafy vegetables are rich in beta carotene which converts to vitamin A, a vital nutrient for strong immune system.
10. Blueberries contain a type of flavonoid called anthocyanin, which has antioxidant properties that can help boost a person’s immune system. A 2016 study noted that flavonoids play an essential role in the respiratory tract’s immune defense system(perfect for right now!!). Researchers found that people who ate foods rich in flavonoids were less likely to get an upper respiratory tract infection, or common cold, than those who did not.
11. EAT MAGNESIUM-RICH FOODS – The mineral magnesium is a natural sedative. Deficiency of magnesium can result in difficulty sleeping, constipation, muscle tremors or cramps, anxiety, irritability, and pain. Foods rich in magnesium are legumes and seeds, dark leafy green vegetables, wheat bran, almonds, cashews, blackstrap molasses, brewer’s yeast, and whole grains. In addition to including these whole foods in your diet, you can also try juicing dark leafy green vegetables
12. Cinnamon- It is another easy ingredient that you must be having in your kitchen. They are loaded with antioxidants and polyphenols and can help you to fight bacteria and fungal infections.
13. Dairy items such as milk, paneer are a good source of protein, calcium, vitamin D etc.. Foods like Yogurt/Curd can improve your digestive system and is a good source of Vitamin B12.
14. Eggs – An egg is one of the most nutritious foods available on the planet. It is one of the best sources of protein, Vitamin D and Selenium which are crucial in building your immunity.
15. Cucumber: on average around 95% water, this veggie helps flush out toxins and alkalize the body while delivering a powerful nutrient punch.
PROF HALILU BAWA