The Where, How and Cost of Hip and Knee Replacement surgery in Nigeria…
This article will answer the following common queries I have received and on Google..
1. How much does knee replacement cost in nigeria
2. Arthroplasty in nigeria
3. Cost of orthopedic surgery in nigeria
4. Best orthopedic hospital in Abuja
5. Knee surgery cost in Nigeria
6. Knee cap replacement in Nigeria
7. Knock knee surgery in Nigeria
Instead of going on a medical tourism to India, USA, UK, South Africa, and Germany for procedures like hip and knee replacement surgeries for a ccut-throat price of between between ($20,000 – $50,000), you can save cost by having it done in Nigeria at a far cheaper rate with same or better standard of care.
What is knee Replacement surgery? How is it done?
Knee Replacement Surgery, also known as Knee Arthroplasty is a process in which the weight bearing surfaces of the knee joint are replaced to reduce the pain. A surgery like this can also be performed for other knee deformities like rheumatoid arthritis and psoriatic arthritis.
Knee Replacement Surgery has proven to help individuals in returning back to their normal life by enabling them to perform activities like golf, bicycling, and swimming.
Knee replacement surgery is performed on approximately 600,000 people worldwide each year. Over 90% of people who had Total Knee Replacement Surgery experiences an improvement in knee pain and function. Total knees are not certainly designed for jogging, or sports like tennis and skiing (although there certainly are people with total knee replacements that participate in such sports).
Knee replacement surgery in which the diseased knee joint is replaced with an artificial joint (made of plastic or metal) can function as effectively as an original joint, has changed the life in a whole for lots of people suffering from chronic knee pain. Not only are the patients devoid of pain, they are now able to move around at own without depending on others. This has helped innumerable patients to view life again with a positive outlook.
Why do the surgery
A person would be considered to be a candidate for knee replacement surgery if there is:
- Daily pain
- The pain is severe enough to restrict work, recreation and ordinary activities of daily living
- Significant stiffness in the knee
- Significant instability (constant giving way) of the knee
- Significant deformity (knock-knees or bow-legs) that hinders normal function of the knee
- Damage from arthritic conditions, such as osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis or post-traumatic arthritis.
- Avascular Necrosis of the Head of Femur – a condition very common in sickle cell patients.
Types of Knee Replacement Surgery
1. Total knee replacement surgery removes all weight bearing, damaged knee cartilage & bone and replaces it with a man made metal or plastic joint that tries to replicate the knee function.
2. Partial knee replacement Surgery is the choice if only one part of the knee is severely damaged and requires replacement rather than the entire joint.
Where can one do hip and knee replacement surgeries in Nigeria?
Not many hospitals perform this surgery in Nigeria, same as others parts of the world.. .
Here are the Hip and Knee Replacement surgery Centres in Nigeria
1. University of Benin Teaching Hospital (UBTH):
Doctors at the University of Benin Teaching Hospital (UBTH) first performed a successful l total knee replacement surgery also known as artificial knee joint surgery in 2012 on a patient with arthritis.
Cost: 1.5million naira
2. Garki Hospital Abuja
This privately owned health facility performed total hip replacement and knee replacement surgeries in 4 different patient between age 57 – 75 in 2018.
Cost: $2,650 ( #11,000,000 Naira).
3. University College Hospital (UCH), Ibadan – The University College Hospital (UCH), Ibadan said it had performed over 100 cases of hip and knee joint replacement in the last two and a half years to restore the quality of life to people with arthritis.
4. National Orthopaedic Hospital, Igbobi, Lagos
5. National Hospital Abuja
6. National Orthopedic Hospital, Enugu – No fewer than 250 hip and knee replacement surgeries have been performed by medical doctors at the National Orthopaedic Hospital, Enugu between 1999 to date, the Medical Director, Dr. Cajetan Nwadinigwe, disclosed in 2017.
7. Alliance Hospital, Abuja
8. Cedacrest Hospital, Lagos and Abuja
9. Supreme Clinics
10. Obafemi Awolowo University Teaching (OAUTH) , Ife, Osun State
11. University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital, Borno
12. Federal Medical Center, Lokoja
13. Central Specialist Hospital, Ota, Ogun
14. Lagoon Hospital, Lagos
15. Center for Advanced Specialty Surgery (CASS), Victoria Island, Lagos.
16. University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital, Rivers State.
17. Gloryland – Inri Medical Centre, Bayelsa.
18. National Orthopedic Hospital, Dala in Kano. Cost 1 million Naira per knee.
19. Benue State University Teaching Hospital, Makurdi – They reportedly charge #60,000 for hip replacement surgery..
20. Federal Medical Center, Katsina
21. Federal Medical Centre, Birnin Kebbi
22. Rehoboth clinic D-Line Port Harcourt
23. Bowen University Teaching hospital located in ogbomosho
24. Babcock university teaching hospital. Ilishan remo Ogun state
25. Central Hospital , Ughelli, Delta state
26. Zimran Orthopedics in Benin
Cost of Hip and knee replacement surgery in Nigeria…
Here is a screenshot from a reputable site on the cost of total knee replacement surgery in about 8 different countries. See for yourself and you will know the procedure is very affordable here in Nigeria but very costly abroad.
In Nigeria, hip and knee replacement surgery cost is between N1.5 – N2 million Naira. It could be more or less than this value.