The presidency yesterday approved the appointment of Dr. Gambo Aliyu as the new Director-General of the National Agency for control of AIDS (NACA) following the voluntary resignation of the immediate past DG, Prof Sani Aliyu.
Dr. Gambo, whose full name is Dr. Gambo Gumel Aliyu is to resume work immediately and will be at the helms of affairs for a period of 4 years.
But what do we know about Dr. Gambo Aliyu? Well this is what I have been able to gather from reliable sources….
- He is a Nigerian and a medical doctor.
- Studied Medicine in the prestigious Ahmadu Bello University and graduated in 1995 with MBBS honours.
- He had a Masters in Clinical Research, University of Maryland in 2008
- He obtained a PHD in Epidemiology from the University of Maryland in 2012
- He is an associate professor in the Institute of Human Virology, University of Maryland School of Medicine.
- Dr Gambo is an epidemiologist and a public health expert.
- He was the chief of party for the Nigeria Indicator and Impact Survey(NIIS) until his appointment.
- He has published so many articles on HIV/AIDs prevention and Control
- He so many researches to his name with numerous citations both from with and outside the country
- Some of his works are on: HIV Epidemiology, HIV-TB Epidemiology, Multi-drug resistant TB, HIV Surveillance, Malaria Surveillance, Prevention of HIV transmission in key population, ART program evaluation, evaluation of vaccine safety and coverage, HIV research ethics
- Dr. Gambo Gumel Aliyu has been a guest lecturer and a keynote speaker in both National and international conferences.
- Until the appointment, he was the country director, University of Maryland Programmes in Nigeria.
- He has always worked closely with the Federal Ministry of Health, the Presidency and NACA in the fight against HIV/AIDS even before his appointment.
- He is happily married with children
Source: University of Maryland