Pricelist/cost of surgery in Nigeria
In this article, I am going to give you a compilation of names of surgeries and their cost by enlightening us on how the cost of operation is arrived at or calculated in hospitals.
The factors that determine the cost of surgery are:
- Hospital: Government owned or privately owned? Some hospitals are more expensive than others whichever way you look at it. Surgeries in some private hospitals are far more on the high side compared to government owned hospitals. For example, the prices of surgeries in private hospitals like Lily, Cedacrest, Reddington, St. Nicholas, and Leo hospitals are high compared to public hospitals.
- Location: People pay more for surgeries in big cities like Lagos, Abuja and Port Harcourt compared to other areas.
- Surgeon: Some surgeons charge more for their procedures than others.
- Age: Operation on babies and very old patient are more expensive. However, considerations are often given to babies cost-wise. It is just the unwritten rule.
- Procedure: Is it laparoscopic on traditional surgery? Laparoscopic surgeries are expensive because very few doctors have the expertise right now in Nigeria.
- Type of surgery: Is it an elective surgery or an emergency? Diseases that require an emergency intervention are more expensive than the one ones that are planned (elective).
- Specialty: Neurosurgeons and Plastic Surgeons charges more compared to other specialties.
- Drugs: The cost of medications before, during and after the surgery affects the final cost of surgery.
- Hospital stay: The number of days you will stay after the operation are normally included in the surgery cost.
- Blood: Will you be transfused before, during or after the operation? This will add to the cost of surgery if you are given blood.
- Anaesthesia: The anaesthetist is paid differently from the surgeon.The type of anaesthesia may be local, spinal or general. Anaesthetist charge more for general and spinal than local. The cost of anaesthesia is incorporated into the final cost of surgery.
- Your clinical state: Some doctors put this into consideration when calculating cost.
- Tests: Perhaps the most important. Series of investigations are carried out before the actual surgery. Tests like blood tests, X-ray, CT scan, Ultrasound and even MRI are expensive and they add to the cost of surgery.
Now all these were put into consideration to arrived at the price list of Surgery below….
Price list/Cost of common surgeries in Nigeria
- Myomectomy (fibroid removal surgery) – #200,000 to #350,000 Naira.
- Mastectomy (Breast removal surgery) – #230,000 to #280,000 Naira.
- Cataract surgery- #400,000 to #1 million Naira. Sometimes some NGOs and state government may sponsor free cataract surgery .
- Thyroidectomy (Goitre surgery) – #180,000 to #300,000 naira.
- Lipoma excision- #70,000 to #150,000 Naira.
- Incision and drainage( I and D): Depends on the organ and part of the body. It is between #50,000 to #70,000 Naira on not very ‘vital’ organs.
- Ingrown toenail removal: Between #50,000 to 70,000 Naira.
- Tonsillectomy: Removal of the tonsils. It cost between 190,000 to #250,000.
- Hysterectomy: Surgical removal of the womb. The operation cost around #250,000 to #350,000.
- Skin grafting : surgery that involves taking a piece of skin mostly from your thigh to patch up a chronic leg ulcer. It cost around #350,000 to #500,000 Naira.
- Venous stripping/nipping: Surgery used to remove ugly varicose veins especially from the legs. Varicose vein surgery cost around #450,000 to #600,000 Naira.
- Exploratory Laparotomy: Cost around #250,000 to #300,000 Naira. Laparoscopic laparatomy cost around #700,000 to 1.5million Naira.
- Appendectomy: #190,000 to #350,000.
- Cesaerean Section: C-section cost about #280,000 to #500,000 depending on if it is elective or and an emergency.
- Prostatectomy: Surgical removal of the prostate in men. It cost about #400,000 to #800,000 Naira.
- Hemorrhoidectomy: Surgical removal of hemorrhoids or piles. Pile surgery price is #180,000 to #300,000 Naira.
- Open reduction, Internal fixation (ORIF): An orthopedic Surgery for bone fractures. It cost around #280,000 to #350,000 Naira.
- Below Knee Amputation: A surgery performed mostly on diabetic patients with unsalvageable diabetic foot ulcer. It cost around #300,000 to #450,000 Naira.
- Circumcision: Cost around #20,000 to #25,000 Naira.
- Repair of penile fracture: About #400,000 to #900,000 Naira.
- Breast lump removal surgery cost in Nigeria (lumpectomy): Around #50,000 to #60,000 Naira. Here the breast is preserved. Only the lump is removed compared to mastectomy .
- Hydrocelectomy: Surgical removal of water containing bag around the testes of babies. This surgery should not be rushed because it may resolve on its own after 2 years of your baby’s life. If it does not resolve, hydrocelectomy should be done immediately by a Pediatric Surgeon . The procedure cost around #100,000 to #120,000 Naira .
- Hypospadia and Epispadia repair: Around #170,000 to #190,000 Naira.
- Ectopic pregnancy surgery : Around #300,000 to #500,000 naira especially if it is ruptured.
- Hernia repair in Children: It could be inguinal or umbilical hernia. Hernia surgery in children cost around #80,000 to #110,000 Naira. Read other things about hernia surgery here
- Brain Surgery : Most brain surgeries on Nigeria cost around #950,000 to 1.5 million Naira or even more.
- Laminectomy: A surgery done for persons with disc prolapse and chronic low back pain. It cost around #200,000 to #220,000 naira.
- Splenectomy: Around #200,000 to #250,000 Naira.
- Orchidectomy: Surgery done for people with prostate cancer. It involves removal of the testes. It cost around #250,000 to #300,000 naira.
- Ganglion cyst removal surgery: Cost around #20,000 to #30,000 Naira.
- Exploration for torsion testes: An emergency surgery to save the testes from dying and prevent the other testes from suffering similar fate. It cost around #180,000 to #200,000 naira.
- Total hip replacement surgery: 1.5 million naira per hip and 3 million naira for both hips.
- Knee Replacement Surgery: Between #800,000 to 1 million naira per knee.
- Cervical Cerclage: Around #40,000 to #60,000 naira.
- Cholecystectomy: surgical removal of the gall bladder. A procedure done by the general surgeon. It cost around #190,000 to #250,000 naira.
- Hand Surgeries: Done for hand injuries. It involves nerve repair and vascular repair. The price of hand surgery is around #200,000 to #400,000 naira.
- Varicocelectomy: A surgery done to remove scrotal “bag of worms”. It is around #170,000 to #200,000 naira.
- Total Abdominal Hysterectomy and Bilateral Salpingo-ophorectomy (TAH + BSO): Done for women with ovarian cancer. It involves the removal of the uterus, the Fallopian tubes and the ovaries. The surgery cost around #260,000 to #350,000 naira.
- Plastic Surgery: I have already discussed this extensively in this page.
- Wound debridement: A surgery done to remove dead tissues from a wound to enable wound healing. The cost of surgery is around #60,000 to #100,000 naira.
- Repair of intussuception and aganglionic megacolon: Around #160,000 to #200,000 naira.
- Repair of imperforate anus: A procedure by pediatric surgeon to construct an anus for a baby bone without anus. Cost of surgery is around #190,000 to #300,000 naira.
- Corneal transplant: Cost around #1- #2 million naira.
- Retinal Detachment Surgery: Around #1.5 – #3 million Naira.
- Squint/Strabismus surgery cost in Nigeria: Around #400,000 to #600,000 naira.
- Vitrectomy: A surgical procedure performed by an ophthalmologist to remove gel or blood from the eye or gain access to the back of the eye for retina surgery. It improves vision. Cost of surgery is around #800,000 to 1.5 million naira.
- Repair of anal fistula: price is around #150,000 to #200,000 naira.
- Marsupialization: Surgery for drainage of Bartholin’s cyst or abscess in women. It cost between #60,000 to #85,000 naira.
- Kidney stones surgery ( Lithotripsy) : #300,000 to 600,000 naira.
- Cost if pelvic organ prolapse (uterine or vaginal prolapse) : #200,000 Naira or less.
- cost of ectopic pregnancy surgery in nigeria: #200,000 Naira or less if not ruptured.
- cost of laparoscopic surgery for fibroids in nigeria: N500,000 to 1million Naira
- Open prostatectomy is around #100,000 naira
- TURP is around #180,000 naira
- Kidney stone removal surgery (open) is #150,000 naira
- Emergency surgery for torsion testis: #79,000
- Wound debridement cost about #50,000
- Urethroplasty cost about #100,000
- Prostate biopsy is around #20,000 -#30,000
- Laser surgery for kidney stones is #400,000
- Liver biopsy cost about #50,000
- Laparoscopic appendectomy: N200,000 naira
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy: #230,000 naira
I hope this was helpful?
Please leave a comment.
Read more about surgery on Wikipedia.
what about the cost estimate for orthopedic surgery
What type of orthopedic surgery please?
I want to scaphoid fracture non union. Please what is the cost and do you know best hospital in Lagos. Thank you
I want to have a surgery for scaphoid fracture non union. Please what is the cost and do you know any best hospital in Lagos. Thank you
Please go to National Orthopaedic Hospital or Luth or LASUTH. scaphoif fracture repair will not cost you to much. Let a doctor look at it first.
Great content. Well explained. What could be the price range of gynecomastia surgery in Lagos?
It is around the same range as stated in the article. Please read through again. Thank you.
What of two foot that is not growing together,what type of surgery can be done on the issue and the cost
Can you make me understand you better please?
what is the price of lower back spinal cord surgery?
Do you mean laminectomy?
What is the cost of total elbow replacement in nigeria
Close to a million in a teaching hospitals
What is the Cost of total hip replacement with ceramic head.
Total hip replacement with ceramic head is close to 1.5m – 2million Naira and this depends on the hospital
Thank you very much for this article very helpful my aunty is preparing to go for a knee replacement surgery on her both knees but we are located in the east so we don’t know if enugu is a better choice plz can you recommend
University of Nigeria Teaching hospital in Enugu is cool for knee replacement surgery
Thanks for the info.
Please, what is the cost of gynecomastia in one breast and which hospital is ok.
I am in Aba.
Gynecosmastia surgery cost about N180,000 in National Hospital Abuja
Can breast lump be removed by any general practitioner?
Yes of course. But I will like you to use a general surgeon
How much does surgery for peptic ulcers cost?
Please discuss with your doctor. He/she will determine if you’ll require surgery for peptic ulcer.
Please I want to do a tonsillectomy which hospital will you recommend for me!
Go to any federal medical centre or teaching hospital. Thank you.
Please do you have an idea of how much a hymenectomy surgery would cost an any hospital that does it…thanks
Hymenectomy cost is around #250,000 and some hospitals in Benin, Lagos and Abuja perform this operation. It is a surgery done mainly by plastic surgeons.
Thank you for the enlightening article. Which hospital is best for total hip replacement in the south western part of Nigeria. How is the healing rate for a sickle cell that wants to undergo hip replacement.
I will advise you go to LUTH for total hip replacement or Eko hospitals. Reddington hospital is also cool but may be expensive. Success rate is quite very high for sickle cell patients.
How much is a Bunion removal surgery?
Bunion surgery may cost around 200,000 Naira or more.
How much is pinnaplasty surgery for adult ear sugery
You mean ear reconstructive surgery.. Ear reconstructive surgery cost around 300,000 per ear or more. It is a serial surgery…. meaning it is not done once but close to 3 times to fully reconstruct the ear. Pinnaplasty is expensive.
Please, what is the cost of crossed eyes surgery?
Crossed eyes surgery commonly known as strabismus correction surgery cost about #750,000 Naira.
How about reduction of fat in the body, how much would that cost??please I need answers,thank you.
The cost of reduction of fat in the body cannot be etimated since you are not specific. Thank you.
What about surgery for peptic ulcer?
I was told I will under go a surgery.
Good evening,thanks for been of help Sir!
I want to inquire the cost price for a feet or foot reduction, especially within portharcourt. Or Lagos because the price is not included someone needs it.thank you
I don’t really know the cost of foot reduction in Nigeria. I will find out anyway and include it on the list.
What is the cost of knocked knee correction and in which hospital, am in lagos
It depends on the hospital. You may need around N500,000 for knocked knee correction in Nigeria
Thanks so much Doctor.
How confirmed are these price ranges? I have just been charged almost #3M for Vitrectomy.
The prices of surgery are not fixed….depends on so many factors which increase listed….vitrectomy is however, an expensive surgery. Cheers.
What the cost for limb lengthening in Nigeria. I need an answer please.
You will need to consult with an orthopedic surgeon… I cannot give you any quotations now.
Which hospital can offer me the best Varicocele surgery in Abuja and what is their cost?
Go to National hospital Abuja or any good private hospital … Varicocele surgery may cost you up to #300,000 Naira.
How much does hydrocephalus surgery in babies cost
Hydrocephalus surgery is a neurosurgery case. The surgery to correct hydrocephalus is called Ventriculo-peritoneal shunt or ventriculo-atrial shunt. Hydrocephalus surgery in a private hospital is around #2.5 million Naira. Public hospitals may charge less say 1 million Naira. Thank you.
What is the cost of removal of lump in the testicle and which hospital do you recommend
Please see a doctor if you have a lump in your testes.
How much will testical lump removal surgery cost. And which hospital do you recommend
Please how much does it cost to do growth modulation or surgery for a 3years old baby that has Blount disease .
You will need to discuss this with your doctor.
Please how much is knee ligament surgery?
It depends on the nature of the injury to the knee…knee ligament surgery us around #500,000
How is Craniosynostosis surgery
You will need to see Neurosurgeon concerning this.it is quite rare.
Where can I reduce my augment back head Nd d cost
Thank you for your great work. Please what is the cost of a genu velgum correction surgery in a private hospital and the success rate.
Already answered in the article.
Which hospital in the western region can be recommended for leg ulcer surgery?
LUTH, National orthopedic hospital Lagos, UCH etc
Please can you recommend a very good hospital or pediatric surgeon for hydrocele treatment in Nigeria, mostly in South East to be precise.
How much will surgery on bone fracture( on chin)that has last for 3 years cost to get done
Please let the orthopedic/maxillofacial surgeon see you and estimate your cost. It depends.
Where can i get bone correction and lengthening surgery and how much does it cost
Lily Warri hospital quoting N33 million for exploratory laparotomy, have broken ribs, coughing up blood possible spleen or liver damage. Vehicle accident and beaten with pipes by hijackers in chest. This cost seems extremely high. Where should I go instead. Getting worse
UBTH or FMC Asaba or DELSUTH
Please, how much is lung surgery to remove a small cancerous, stage 1 tumor? Thank you
Lung surgery for tumour excision is around #1.5 million naira.
Hand Oestomeolytist Surgery cost in teaching Hospital Bauchi
I advise you go there to find out yourself….
Good morning,how much will it cost for Retinal detachment surgeon for a 22 years old boy and which hospital would be the best?
Number 44 answers your question
I have a head bump and I want to know-how much to remove it.
Please see a doctor… Or talk to one visit this link…
what is the cost of anal fisula surgery
Anal fistula Surgery cost about #350,000
Whats the cost of above knee amputation for diabetes
#300,000 naira for AMPUTATION OF DIABETIC FOOT.
Thanks for the good work, how much does prostatectomy cost now
Prostatectomy cost #400,000 naira now in Nigeria
Thanks, would you be able to recommend a good private hospital for this price?
Talk to us via this link please.
Which hospitals are good for crossed eyes surgeries in Nigeria? And how much please?
Go to the teaching hospitals.. The cost depends on the hospital
Please amongst the teaching hospitals in the Southern part of Nigeria, which is better for the surgery?
Any teaching hospital is OK for you… Go to the one in your state of residence
Pls how much does pile operation cost in Nigeria
Pls how much does pile operation cost in Nigeria
Please what’re they procedures taking before pile operation?
The cost of hemorrhoid surgery is in the article
Thanks for this article
Twas really helpful
Pls which hospital is the best for performing Laminectomy?
Is Ubth or Isth good enough?
UBTH is your best bet for laminectomy procedures…they have seasoned neurosurgeons
How much for ORIF in Lagos
How much is malunion surgery
See an orthopedic surgeon
Bro please which hospital is best in Nigeria for footballers, any government hospital ?
Or to say a sports doctor in Nigeria
Please I really need to see one to know the situation of my knee as I have done the necessary scan but not showing if I’m injured or not, I still feel pain and knee not balance if I try to play.
National orthopedic Hospital, Igbobi
how much for hair transplant
About a 500k to a million naira
Comment:pls the price for gynecomastia as at now I wanna get it done by next year before it getting bigger
You already have the estimate
How mich does pile surgery cost
Stated in hemorrhoids
You did not add the price range for proximal femoral fracture nailing.
Implants are expensive. Tilts the price the surgery
I have a case of the knee leaving its position. Now it is located below the knee joint as a result of ruptured tendon and ligaments. Please how much could it cost.
See a doctor to evaluate you first
Hello, pls what’s the cost of plastic hand surgery done to seperate webbed fingers
About #200,000 naira
Pls how much does adenoidectomy (adenoid surgery) cost for children? Thanks in anticipation.
Adenoid surgery is about #50,000 naira for children in many teaching hospitals.
Laparoscopic appendectomy: N200,000: is this realistic in Nigeria of today? Or does it depend on the healthcare facility?
It is done. It depends on the facility yes.