Health budget: A step by step breakdown of the Nigeria 2019 budgetary allocation for the health sector.
Allocations in the 2019 budget for the Ministry of Health come to N365.76bn; up from 2018 levels of N356.45bn. Of the total, N315,61bn or 86.28% of the
budget will be spent on recurrent items, including payment of salaries and emolument of workers, while 13.71% will be spent on capital items.
The capital items within the approved budget include the provision of vaccines, rehabilitation of hospitals and primary health centres, the purchase of medical equipment, establishment of chemotherapy centre in major teaching hospitals and Federal Medical Centres across the country, as well as procurement of kits and commodities for community health servicers in Nigeria’s health sector.
Here is the breakdown of the health budget and allocation for the 2019 fiscal year.
1. Seven hundred and eighty million (#780,000,000) naira was budgeted for the establishment of chemotherapy centres in University of Benin Teaching Hospital (UBTH) , University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital (UITH), Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospital (ABUTH), University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital (UNTH) , University of Port-Harcourt Teaching Hospital (UPTH), University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital (UMTH) , Obafemi Awolowo University Teaching Hospital (OAUTH), FMC Owerri, and FMC Abeokuta.
READ ALSO: Nigerian doctors least paid in the world- Official
2. Five hundred and eighty six (#586,000,000) million Naira was voted for the establishment and operationalization of diaspora professional healthcare initiative, provision of logistics and implementation of diaspora professional healthcare activities.
3. Two hundred million (200,000,000) Naira for training and central procurement of 300,000 units of dialysis consumables (DHS/566/TI).
4. One billion, one hundred and twenty two million, eight hundred and fifty thousand Naira (#1,122,850,000) for the procurement of kits and commodities for community health influences, promoters and servicers (CHIPS) .
5. Seven billion, six hundred and thirty million, nine hundred and fifty six thousand, eight hundred and seventy-eight Naira (#7,630,956,878) for procurement of Rhodes Island (RI) vaccines, devices and operational cost.
6. Two hundred and twenty nine million, three hundred and sixty thousand and fifty-eight Naira (#229,364,058) for the construction of NAFDAC offices in 36 states and FCT.
7. Three eighty one million, sixty thousand and two hundred Naira (#381,060,200) for vaccine distribution and transport (national to states and health facilities).
8. One billion, two hundred and sixty-three million, seven hundred and twenty thousand and two Naira(#1,263,720,002).
9. One hundred and fifty million (#150,000,000) for procurement and installation of 3NOS. elevators (phase 1).
10. One hundred and fifty million (#150,000,000) for extension of emergency clinic (phase 1).
Do you think this health budget is befitting for a country like Nigeria with over 200 million population?
Please leave a comment.
Culled from BudgiT
The budget is grossly inadequate.
Thank you. I think we I need to do more. With this budget we cannot achieve the Universal Health Coverage. We need to spend more in our health insurance scheme.
[…] READ ALSO: Breakdown of 2019 health budget […]