Where can science laboratory technology work in Nigeria? Where can a science lab technician or technologist work in Nigeria? Science laboratory Technology jobs in Nigeria
JOB DESCRIPTION OF A SCIENCE LABORATORY TECHNOLOGIST
As a graduate of science laboratory technology you are involved in carrying out or performing a variety of laboratory based investigation in biological, chemical, physical and life science areas. These investigation include sampling, testing, measuring and analyzing scientific results.
Provide technical support to ensure the laboratory runs smoothly and also assist in the advancement and development of modern medicine and science.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF A SCIENCE LABORATORY TECHNICIAN
* Conducting and supporting scientific investigation and experiment.
* Planning setting up and undertaking control experiment and trials.
* Recording and analyzing data.
* Demonstrating procedures.
* Collecting, preparing and testing samples. It could be water, food, blood, urine etc depending on the organization of employment.
* Maintaining, calibrating, cleaning and testing sterility of equipments
* Keeping up to date with relevant scientific and technical development.
Where can science laboratory technology work in Nigeria?
A science lab technician can work in both the public and the private sector of any economy and some SLT graduates are self employed with their own labs and private practices. I am going to list out companies and institutions that can employ science lab technicians in Nigeria.
EMPLOYERS OF SCIENCE LABORATORY TECHNICIANS IN NIGERIA
* Environmental Agencies.
* Specialist research organization and consultancies
* Hospitals and clinics
* Utility companies.
* Food manufacturing companies.
* Pharmaceutical and chemical companies.
* Large public limited companies and industries such as cosmetic, metals, oil, textile and plastic making industries.
* Pharmaceuticals companies
*Educational institutions: lecturers in universities and polytechnics and even colleges of education
* Oil companies,
* Nigerian Breweries,
*Quality control officers in different companies, Some others include water industry, pharmacology research labs, Physiology research labs etc
Please note that this list is not exhaustive as science laboratory technology is still an emerging course or profession in Nigeria
This article is the intellectual property of www.nimedhealth.com.ng and was written by IYEH JUDITH CHIKADIBIA