Delta State COVID-19 Response: Gov Ifeanyi Okowa’s Press Release.
#COVIDー19 is a respiratory virus. This is why, as a precautionary measure, in the last 72 hours, the Delta State Government has acquired 19 new ventilators and a good number of monitors that will be used by our medical staff in the event of an outbreak.
Yesterday, in a live broadcast, I announced the following precautionary measures that are aimed at protecting our citizens and residents of from the COVID-19 Virus.
1. All institutions of learning: Primary, Secondary and Tertiary are to close for a period of 30 days at the end of school hours today — Wednesday, 25th March, 2020.
2. All workers on grade levels 1 -12 (except those on essential duties (Health Staff, Fire Services, Water Corporation/agencies) are to stay at home effective tomorrow — Thursday, 26th March, 2020.
3. Biometric operations at all levels of government are hereby suspended till further notice.
4. Malls, supermarkets, restaurants, banks, hotels and bars must — in addition to providing sanitizers at various entry points — ensure social distancing by limiting the number of people in their establishments at all times.
5. Market leaders across our state must ensure that sanitizers are provided at all entry points to the markets. Failure to do this will attract sanctions from the Government.
6. All night clubs/lounges and cinemas are to be closed forthwith.
7. All burials and social events must not attract crowds of more than twenty (20) people. Our security agencies will be directed to enforce this. Social distancing must be complied with.
8. The State Government will immediately convene a meeting with religious leaders to enable us take far-reaching decisions on worship. However, all crusades and conferences must be suspended for now.
9. All Local Government Council Chairmen are hereby directed to urgently meet with traditional rulers and opinion leaders in their domain to partner with the State in carrying out this advocacy to curtail the spread of the infection.
10. All buses and taxis must provide hand Sanitzers for travellers.
11. All town union gatherings or youth conferences/gatherings are prohibited until further notice.
12. All political gatherings and conferences, summits and gatherings involving more than 20 persons are banned until further notice.
With our precautionary measures in place; with all of you playing your own part to keep yourselves and your families safe; and most importantly, with God on our side, I have a firm conviction that we shall overcome this plague.
Governor Ifeanyi Okowa