Different Types of Certificate of Occupancy in Nigeria…How much does C of O cost in Nigeria



There are different types of C of O in Nigeria. The abbreviation, C of O means Certificate of Occupancy. It is the certificate that shows that you are the rightful owner of a landed property.

The Land Use Act of 1978 vests the power of ownership of all lands in a state on the Governor of the state. It implies that only the state government can issue a Certificate of Occupancy, C of O in Nigeria.

Have you at one time or the other heard of Individual C of O, Global C of O, or Government Allocated C of O? It is important to note that although the three are different types of C of O in Nigeria, it is still the same land title. The only difference is the situation involved.

1. 𝗜𝗻𝗱𝗶𝘃𝗶𝗱𝘂𝗮𝗹 𝗖 𝗼𝗳 𝗢

The individual C of O is issued on few plots of land bought from omo onile or an individual. For example, if Mr A buys 5 plots of land from a community or individuals, he will be issued the normal C of O. If he decides to sell the land to another individual, it is mandatory for such buyer to obtain Governor’s Consent which is another land title. Only one person can obtain C of O on a particular land, subsequent buyers will obtain Governor’s Consent..

The governor of Kwara state issue C of O in Nigeria

2. 𝗚𝗹𝗼𝗯𝗮𝗹 𝗖 𝗼𝗳 𝗢

Global C of O is issued on a large expanse of land(in acres or hectares). A good example of this situation is Richfield Garden, Ilese Pan, along Abeokuta-Lagos Expressway. The developers of this estate bought acres of land from a community and went ahead to obtain the C of O from the government. They wanted the whole expanse of land to have Global C of O in such a way that anyone who buys at least a plot of land in the estate will be protected by that single C of O.

It means subsequent subscribers in the estate cannot obtain another C of O in their own name for their respective plots of land. The only document they can have that will single them out is Governor’s Consent. That is actually a waste of money because it is not necessary if the type of certificate is Global C of O. If you intend to sell your plot(s) of land to another individual, the right of part-ownership(conferred by Global C of O) is transferred to the new buyer via a new Deed of Assignment, prepared by the developer of the estate.

3. 𝗚𝗼𝘃𝗲𝗿𝗻𝗺𝗲𝗻𝘁 𝗔𝗹𝗹𝗼𝗰𝗮𝘁𝗲𝗱 𝗖 𝗼𝗳 𝗢

Government Allocated C of O is issued by the government if you’re buying the land directly from the government. A good example of such property is Itunu Residential, Aiyetoro Ibeju-Lekki, Lagos State, an estate. The process of obtaining this certificate is initiated as soon as the sale of the land by the government is confirmed.

Whichever the C of O your land has, it shows that you are the rightful owner of the land and you will win any case in the court of law concerning the land unless your opponent(s) provides Governor’s Consent. No one can obtain Governor’s Consent on a land that has C of O unless the land has been sold and a Deed has been prepared and signed by the concerned individuals, i.e buyer and seller. The Deed, alongside the C of O must be provided before Governor’s Consent will be issued. Once Governor’s Consent is issued, the C of O becomes invalid from that moment on.

Having said all these, I will use this medium to advise you to stay away from acquired(government) lands. Do not join the people who believe that the government will overlook people once lots of people have already built houses on those lands. It will be painful to see the government demolishing your house 20yrs later, thereby rendering you homeless at old age.

I hope you got value. If yes, don’t learn alone, share with your loved ones.

𝗠𝗶𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗲𝗹 𝗢𝗽𝗲𝗼𝗹𝘂𝘄𝗮


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here